Sometimes I felt so lazy to cook. Probably due to the hot weather, or there are just too many things to do instead of spending that 1 hour standing in the kitchen. I am lazy, I know. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a cooking machine that automates the whole process of cooking, including cutting, marinating etc, to serving the dish in the taste that the family like?
Found this recipe via the internet a few years ago and saved it in my phone. I can’t seem to find the actual link to the site anymore :(. It’s a delicious stew that delights the kids and the man in the house. The kids love the gravy with their rice and the man loves the gravy-soaked mushrooms.
- 1 Onion
- A few slices of ginger
- Some chopped garlic
- Cooking Oil
- 10-15 pcs of Chicken Mid Joints
- A handful of dried mushrooms - around 10 to 15
- 1-2 carrots
- 2 potatoes
- (Optional) Enoki mushroom
- (Optional) Snow peas
- Light soya sauce
- dash of pepper
- 2 cups water
- 5 tablespoons of oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons of light soya sauce
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- Marinate the chicken and leave it for 4 hours.
- Soak the dried mushroom for at least 4 hours, remove the stem
- Wash the carrots & potatoes, remove the skin and cut to odd size small chunks
- Cut the onion into small chunks.
- Mix the sauces into a bowl, exclude the water
- Heat the pan, add oil and stir fry ginger slices and chopped garlic until fragrant.
- Add onion and saute. (Picture 1)
- When the onion gets transparent, add in chicken, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and stir fry about 3 mins. (Picture 2)
- Add in the sauces and stir about 1 min. (Picture 3)
- Add in the water (water should briefly cover the items in the pan and bring it to boil. (Picture 4)
- Once the water boil, cover and simmer for about 10 mins under medium heat. (Picture 5)
- Give a good stir. If you want to add Enoki Mushroom or snow peas, this is the time to add and let it cook briefly.
- Ready to serve!
The original recipe uses 1 cup of water and uses corn starch to thicken the gravy before serving. However, the kids love the gravy and hence I add in more liquid and omit the thickening part. Besides, mushrooms and potatoes soak up liquid and hence this proportion of sauces work well for me.
A bowl of warm chicken mushroom stew is perfect for a lazy mom like me.
This is one of the lunch box I packed for hubby and the mushrooms made him a happy man during his lunch at work. 🙂